Monday, December 14, 2009

Why not to buy a Kindle in Australia

Today I received an email from Amazon,

"Amazon Kindle: The Ultimate Holiday Gift"


Kindle video
Kindle video

Say Hello to the Newest Kindle

Advantages
Slim:
Just over 1/3 of an inch, as thin as most magazines
Lightweight: At 10.2 ounces, lighter than a typical paperback
Books in Under 60 Seconds: Get books delivered wirelessly in less than 60 seconds; no PC required
3G Wireless: 3G wireless lets you download books right from your Kindle; no annual contracts, no monthly fees, and no hunting for Wi-Fi hotspots
Paper-Like Display: Reads like real paper without glare, even in bright sunlight
Carry Your Library: Holds up to 1,500 books
Longer Battery Life: Now read for up to 1 week on a single charge with wireless on, a significant improvement from the previous battery life of 4 days
Built-In PDF Reader: Your Kindle can now display PDF documents natively. Native PDF support allows you to carry and read all of your personal and professional documents on the go.
Global Coverage: Enjoy 3G wireless coverage at home or abroad in over 100 countries. See details. Check wireless coverage map.

Disadvantages
1. Mostly American books available.
At the moment I am reading Miles Franklin award books, but few of these would be available in America, and Amazon does not have an Australian store. (
For non-U.S. customers, content availability and pricing will vary. Check your country)

2. The New York Times is a great paper, but their booklist does not influence my reading. Too parochial.

3. I remember what I have read from the look of the page. Open a book and I instantly go to the paragraph I have finished reading.
The pattern of the paragraphs is imprinted in my reading.

4. The format of the chapters is part of the book design. I want to see the special page layouts and headings of the book, since this makes it memorable.
I don't find computer screens memorable at all. I have paid good money for screen-based courses and don't remember anything to speak of.

5. Buying an ebook from Amazon deprives an Australian retailer of the sale. Not to mention my taste for Australian books

6. Why get a kindle when I read at home? I drive a car, don't read while travelling. I get travel sick on bumpy roads if I try to read.

7. Why buy a kindle when a much better Apple Tablet is just around the corner?

8. Why have two wireless connections and waste all that energy when a mobile phone is enough?

9. I feel that buying a kindle will tie me too closedly to Amazon. I am tied enough electronically to Google, and Amazon has not been great on privacy issues in the past.


Low Book Prices:
New York Times Best Sellers and New Releases are $9.99, unless marked otherwise. When traveling abroad, you can download books wirelessly from the Kindle Store or your Archived Items. U.S. customers will be charged a fee of $1.99 for international downloads.

No comments:

Post a Comment